IOM Anniversary Fellowship in Pharmacy
Activity News and Announcements
The Call for Nominations for the 2014 IOM Pharmacy Fellowship is now closed.
The activities of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) boards, committees, and roundtables offer an exceptional learning environment where the most eminent researchers, policy experts, and clinicians from across the country work together to provide nonpartisan, scientific, and evidence-based guidance to national, state, and local policymakers, academic leaders, health care administrators, and the public. The Institute is uniquely qualified to make such an experience available to selected, “early career” faculty and future leaders in Pharmacy through the support of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
The overall purpose of the IOM Anniversary Fellows Program, created to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the Institute’s establishment, is to enable talented, early career health science scholars to participate actively in the work of the IOM and to further their careers as future leaders in the field. The program especially welcomes nominations of under-represented minority candidates.
Each Fellowship will be awarded for a two-year period. During this time, Fellows are expected to continue their work at their main academic posts, while being assigned to a board of the IOM. The Boards are:
- Health Sciences Policy
- Health Care Services
- Food and Nutrition
- Health of Select Populations
- Global Health
- Population Health and Public Health Practice
- Children, Youth, and Families
The Fellowship requires a ten-to-twenty percent commitment of time for two years, and includes attendance at a one-week orientation to health policy, the Fall IOM Annual Meeting and the meetings of the assigned board. Additionally, Fellows will participate actively in the work of an appropriate expert study committee or roundtable, including contributing to its reports or other products.
This experience will introduce Fellows to a variety of experts and perspectives, including legislators, government officials, industry leaders, executives of voluntary health organizations, scientists, and other health professionals. Each Fellow will be assigned to an IOM member who will serve as a senior mentor during the two years of the fellowship.
A flexible research stipend of $25,000 will be awarded to each Fellow. The stipend will be administered through the appropriate department in the Fellow’s home institution. Stipends are not intended for use as salary offsets.
Nominees for the IOM Fellowship must meet the following requirements:
- Nomination by a member of the Institute of Medicine or the Boards of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy or the American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- Completion of a Pharm.D. and/or Ph.D. from a relevant field of study in the pharmaceutical and clinical sciences
- Non-tenured member of an academic faculty
- Able to dedicate 10 percent to 20 percent of time to the Fellowship for two years
- Within the first 5-10 years after completion of post graduate work
- Sponsorship by academic department head
- Endorsement by the Dean
- U.S. citizen or permanent residency status at the time of the nomination
The Institute of Medicine especially welcomes under-represented minority candidates.
- Professional accomplishments including research and publications
- Potential for leadership in health policy
- Quality of letters of recommendations
- Expertise in an area of relevance to the Institute of Medicine
- Preference will be given to those with a demonstrated interest in and focus on advancing pharmacy practice and scholarship
- Nomination letter from a member of the Institute of Medicine or the Boards of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy or the American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- Letters of Recommendation and endorsement from:
- Department Chair
- Academic Dean
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A brief one page bio
| April 7, 2014
|| Call for nominations
| June 16, 2014
|| Nomination Packets due
| July 15, 2014
|| Awardees notified
| October 1, 2014
|| Fellowship begins
| October 20, 2014
|| Awardees introduced to the Membership;
Institute of Medicine Annual Meeting
| October 27-31, 2014
|| Fellow Orientation Week at the Institute of Medicine
Application packets and inquiries about the IOM Anniversary Fellows should be directed to:
Marie E. Michnich, DrPH
Director, Health Policy Educational Programs and Fellowships
Institute of Medicine
500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 334-1506
Fax: (202) 334-3862