Global Harmonization of Methodological Approaches to Nutrient Intake Recommendations: A Workshop
The Food and Nutrition Board, in partnership with the Department of Nutrition for Health and Development of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Nutrition Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), will convene an ad hoc committee to plan and organize a workshop to explore questions about the uses of nutrient intake recommendations, the frameworks used for their development, the status of nutrient intake recommendations globally, and experiences and expertise in methodological approaches. The workshop is intended to review current nutrient intake recommendations; discuss the feasibility of harmonizing approaches to setting such recommendations globally; examine the development of principles by which they may be applied in diverse contexts that relate to individuals or populations, or regulatory purposes; and examine perceptions and acceptance of nutrient intake recommendations by different stakeholders. The goal is to develop discussion topics about ways to provide a uniform and consistent basis for setting nutrient intake recommendations across countries while accommodating culturally and context-specific food choices and dietary patterns.
• Describe potential frameworks to enable global harmonization of methodologies to establish nutrient intake recommendations
• Explore approaches for evaluating the evidence to facilitate global harmonization of methodologies to establish nutrient intake recommendations
• Examine the potential for addressing contextual factors from different population subgroups, regions, and countries that may or may not be conducive to harmonization
• Consider approaches to facilitate global sharing of resources to maintain quality and support cost-effectiveness to develop methodologies for nutrient intake recommendations
• Identify the advantages, barriers, and challenges to globa l harmonization of methodologies to establish nutrient intake recommendations
Please note that the event will take place in Rome, Italy starting at 9:00 AM CEST on Thursday, September 21. The live webcast will begin at 3:00 AM EDT. On Friday, September 22, the event will start at 8:30 AM CEST . The live webcast will begin at 2:30 AM EDT.
The workshop is free and open to the public. Registration is required to attend in person. The event will also be webcast live; you may register to receive reminders and updates. In-person registration is available until Friday, September 1 after which only webcast registration will be available.
***It is the attendee’s responsibility to obtain a visa to travel to the workshop, if one is needed. For more information, please visit: http://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home/en
As of March 2016, the Health and Medicine Division continues the consensus studies and convening activities previously undertaken by the Institute of Medicine (IOM).