Workshop 2: Educating for Practice: Learning how to improve health from interprofessional models across the continuum of education to practice
An ad hoc committee will plan, organize, and conduct a 2-day, interactive public workshop exploring issues related to innovations in health professions education (HPE). The workshop will follow a high level framework and serve to establish an orientation for the future work of the Global Forum on Innovations in Health Professional Education. The public workshop will feature invited presentations and small group discussions that will focus on innovations in five areas of HPE:
• Curricular innovations - concentrates on WHAT is being taught to health professions' learners to meet evolving domestic and international needs;
• Pedagogic innovations - looks at HOW the information can be better taught to students and WHERE education can takes place;
• Cultural elements - addresses WHO is being taught by whom as a means of enhancing the effectiveness of the design, development and implementation of interprofessional HPE;
• Human Resources for Health - focuses on HOW capacity can be innovatively expanded to better ensure an adequate supply and mix of educated health workers based on local needs; and
• Metrics - addresses HOW one measures whether learner assessment and evaluation of educational impact and care delivery systems influence individual and population health.
• To derive principles and lessons learned from IPE models across the continuum of education
• To identify and examine academic/practice partnerships that demonstrate purposeful modeling to advance team-based education and collaborative practice to improve health outcomes
• To learn from IPE exemplars across the academic/practice/continuing education continuum that link to better health, higher quality and improved value for individuals and populations
The committee planned and organized the workshop, selected and invited speakers and discussants, and moderated the discussions. The workshop was free and open to the public. Registration was required. PowerPoint presentations and videos of the webcast recordings can be found in the links on the right side of this page.
To download the workshop summary for free, click here.
Upcoming Meetings for this Activity
October 25, 2018 (8:00 AM Pacific)
November 13, 2018 - November 14, 2018 (8:30 AM Eastern)