Committee to Evaluate the Social Security Administration's (SSA) Capability Determination Process for Adult Beneficiaries
An ad hoc committee will:
- Familiarize itself with SSA's current policy and procedures for capability determinations for adult beneficiaries;
- Provide an overview of the capability determination processes in at least three similar benefit programs (at least one government program and one private sector program);
- Compare SSA's program to these other programs; and
- Provide recommendations to improve the accuracy and efficiency of SSA's policy and procedures for capability determinations.
To accomplish these objectives, the committee shall consider the following topics:
- Capability determination processes used by other similar benefit programs;
- Abilities required to manage, and direct the management of, benefits;
- Effective methods and measures for assessing capability;
- Use of capacity assessments tools;
- Appropriate roles of our employees, State Disability Determination Services employees, and others in making capability determinations; and
- Effects of SSA's decision to appoint a payee on the beneficiary.
The final report shall include the study committee’s recommendations to SSA for improving their policies and procedures for capability determinations for adult beneficiaries.
For more information